Disposal of Surplus Property


Purchasing has the sole authority and responsibility for disposal of surplus and abandoned property at UW-Green Bay (other than titled and licensed vehicles, which are handled by the Department of Administration in cooperation with our campus fleet office). Purchasing is responsible for the timely disposal of surplus property at a fair market value for the benefit of UW-Green Bay.

UW-System campuses and other state agencies have the first opportunity to obtain items prior to any public sale. Material that is classified as surplus property must remain in the warehouse for 30 days before being offered for sale to the general public. After those 30 days, governmental and state agencies still maintain the option to obtain items in surplus property before the public sale is held. Local State agencies may arrange for delivery of large equipment or purchases, for a fee at time of purchase. UW-Green Bay Campus Reuse Items.

University departments are NOT authorized to trade in or dispose of State property to persons or organizations outside UW- Green Bay without obtaining prior approval from Purchasing.

For information on the disposal of hazardous materials or animals (live or dead), please contact Risk Management at x2110.



Departments wishing to include a trade-in along with a purchase must notify Purchasing of this intent. Purchasing is required to perform a cost analysis to determine the best value for the State of Wisconsin. The information on the Surplus Property Declaration Form will be required, so it is advisable for departments to complete this form prior to contacting Purchasing.

Disposal of Surplus Property:

Complete the Surplus Property Declaration Form. Contact the Surplus Department with any questions.

In most cases, Surplus Property will determine the value of item to be sold. In the case of specialized equipment, Surplus Property staff may consult with department personnel for assistance in determining pricing. State law requires all proceeds from surplus sales to be deposited in the State Stabilization Fund.

Items that are not owned by the State or UW-Green Bay, that are left on UW-Green Bay property (abandoned property), may be disposed of by Central Receiving using normal surplus methods, provided proper attempts to notify the owner have been made.

Print Friendly Version of this Policy